We all enjoy receiving gifts especially when they have a personal touch; homemade fudge, cakes, or even potpourri. Potpourri mixture can be combined with very little effort, and best part most of the ingredients could be found in your spice cupboard and a pestle and mortar.
When made up potpourri can be used in several ways, including being placed in a decorative bowl and allow the amazing fragrances to fill up the room. You can also place your pot-pourri aromatherapy lamp/pot with some water that uses candles to heat up, this releases the scent faster.
2 -3 handfuls of orange slices
4 Cinnamon sticks
1 or 2 Star anise
1 small piece nutmeg
3 Cardamom pods
Dried oranges / lemons slices
5 -6 whole mandarins
Dried rose petals
Dried Rose hips
- Place all spices in a pestle and mortar and lightly crush the spices – make sure the spices do not end up as a powder
- Once broken up add oranges, lemon slices whole mandarins and rose petals.
- To dry the oranges and lemon slices place on a baking rack in a low oven for 3 hours. If they’re still a bit damp place on a radiator to completely dry.
- Make slits on side of the mandarins and place in a low oven for 3 hours
- When all of your ingredients are prepared, mix them all together and present them as you wish
- The potpourri can be gift wrapped with the bowl or in an organza bag
- The dried oranges can also be strung together with dried chillies and cinnamon for a rustic garland