Lucknow Lamb Biryani Recipe
This amazing aromatic Lucknow Lamb Biryani recipe might take some time and is a bit challenging, however, the end result is completely worth it. Ingredients 600g diced lamb400g basmati rice2 tsp ginger paste2 tsp garlic paste200g onions, sliced50ml oil50g ghee1 tsp chilli powder1 tsp ground coriander1/2 tsp ground cumin1/2 tsp ground cardamom1/4 tsp ground mace100g…
Keep this recipe for later
This amazing aromatic Lucknow Lamb Biryani recipe might take some time and is a bit challenging, however, the end result is completely worth it.
600g diced lamb
400g basmati rice
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
200g onions, sliced
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground mace
10ml Kewra flower water
10ml rose water
1/4g saffron, soaked in 20ml water
5ml yellow food colouring
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, add the sliced onions and fry till golden brown, remove the onions on a kitchen towel and keep aside for use later.
- Wash the rice in lukewarm water a few times and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- In the hot oil add the spices for the lamb, when they crackle add the lamb and keep frying till pieces are lightly brown, add ginger and garlic paste, fry for a few minutes, add whisked yoghurt, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, fennel power and salt to taste, add about 100ml of water and half of the brown onion, cover the pan and allow the lamb to cook on slow fire.
- Keep stirring and check the lamb after 30 minutes of slow cooking, it should be almost done, add milk, half of the cardamom and mace power and allow the sauce to reduce.
- In another pan keep 2 litres of water to boil, add the spices for the rice and 1tsp of salt, bring to boil and add the washed soaked and drained basmati rice, cook for 6 minutes and then drain the rice in a sieve to remove all moisture, at this time rice is about 75% cooked.
- Checked the lamb is cooked and the sauce has reduced, add the rest of cardamom and mace powder, kewra flower water, rose water and butter ghee.
- Add the cooked rice on top of the lamb, sprinkle with yellow food colour as well as saffron water, sprinkle the remaining fried brown onion on top of the rice.
- Cover the rice with paper kitchen towels and a lid, keep on high heat for 5 minutes, reduce the heat to very low and allow the rice to get streamed for 15 minutes.
- An aromatic biryani is done, mix and serve accompanied with red onion mint raita.