Lucknowi Lamb Biryani Recipe
This lamb biryani is an ideal celebration dish. It is a traditional Indian dish that brings together exciting flavours, aromatic spices, and delicious lamb into one rice dish.
500g diced lamb
250g Kohinoor Extra Flavour Basmati Rice
30g onions friend
30g ginger paste
20g garlic paste
200g natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
20g coriander, chopped
20g mint, chopped
1 tsp kewra
2 bay leaves
2 green cardamom pods
- Marinate the lamb in onions, garlic paste, ginger paste, yoghurt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt, and half of the coriander and mint. Marinate for at least 2 hours
- Wash the basmati rice in lukewarm water and soak for 30 minutes
- Boil 3 litres of water with 5g of salt, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cloves, and the remaining coriander and mint. When the water starts to boil, add the basmati rice.
- Cook for 4 minutes, drain, and coil
- In a large saucepan, add the marinated lamb and fry until seared
- Add 200ml of water and reduce the heat. Simmer for 40 minutes until the lamb is cooked through
- Increase the heat and reduce the sauce
- Add the saffron to the milk
- Sprinkle the cooked rice on top of the lamb, adding the saffron, garam masala and fresh coriander and mint.
- Cover the rice with a kitchen towel, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 30 minutes on a low heat.
- Mix the lamb biryani together and serve with a cucumber raita.