Mughlai Lamb Biryani Recipe
This Mughlai Lamb Biryani is typically milder than Hyderbadi Biryani, but is certainly hearty and warming! Using Kohinoor’s Gold Basmati Rice ensures the perfect grain with every bite. Ingredients 250g Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice500g boneless lamb leg chunks150ml natural yoghurt2 tbsp garlic puree1 tbsp grated ginger20g ghee1 large onion, chopped1tsp cumin seeds1tsp nigella seeds1 cinnamon…
Keep this recipe for later
This Mughlai Lamb Biryani is typically milder than Hyderbadi Biryani, but is certainly hearty and warming! Using Kohinoor’s Gold Basmati Rice ensures the perfect grain with every bite.
250g Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice
500g boneless lamb leg chunks
150ml natural yoghurt
2 tbsp garlic puree
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 large onion, chopped
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp nigella seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp turmeric
500ml chicken stock
1 tbsp saffron strands
3 tbsp milk
70g cashew nuts
8 curry leaves
1/2 onion, sliced and fried until crispy
- In a large bowl, add the yoghurt, garlic, ginger, and a generous helping of salt. Add the lamb and marinate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Soak the basmati rice for at least half an hour in water.
- Once the lamb is marinated, in a large saucepan, add the ghee. Once the ghee is hot, fry the onions until soft and translucent.
- Heat the oven to 190˚C
- Add the cumin seeds, nigella seeds, turmeric, and cinnamon stick and fry until the seeds start to pop and you can smell the aromatics.
- Add the lamb and fry until golden brown. Sprinkle over half of the crispy onions.
- Add the rice to the saucepan followed by the chicken stock and 6 curry leaves. Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Soak the saffron in the milk and pour over the rice.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and then add the lid on top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- When the biryani is cooked, take it out of the oven, don’t remove the lid and allow it to steam for another 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of ghee, and fry the remaining 2 curry leaves with the cashew nuts and raisins.
- Sprinkle the raisins, cashews, and remaining crispy onions on top and serve with raita!
Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice
Each pack of Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice contains specially selected longer grains that have been nurtured by the snow-fed waters of the Himalayas