This lamb biryani dish is the perfect celebration dish that’s full of Indian, aromatic flavours with tender lamb. It’s simply delicious served alongside creamy Indian yoghurt dip, raita.
500g diced lamb
300g Kohinoor Extra Long Basmati Rice
50ml rapeseed or vegetable oil
30g ginger and garlic paste
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardamom pods
1 mace pod
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime
150g onions, sliced
1/4 tsp saffron
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Mix together the yoghurt, ginger and garlic paste salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, mace, bay leaves, and half of the fried onions. Add the lamb into this marinate and leave for 1 hour
- Soak the saffron in warm water for 30 minutes
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in warm water for 30 minutes
- In a large pot, heat the rest of the oil and add the marinated lamb.
- Seal the lamb and add 300ml of water. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the lamb is cooked and tender.
- In a separate saucepan, add the washed rice and boil 2 litres of water. Cook for 3 minutes until the rice is half-cooked then drain.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander and mint on the lamb. Layer on the rice and then the saffron water.
- Warm the milk and melt the butter into it. When melted, layer on top of the rice with the rest of the coriander, mint, and the fried onions.
- Place 2 paper kitchen towels on the rice and close the pan.
- Leave on medium heat for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- When cooked, mix together the rice and serve with a creamy raita.