These cupcakes are the perfect accompaniment to a spiced chai latte as a sumptuous little treat!
225g self raising flour
225g brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mixed spiced
200g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
115ml double cream
1/2 tsp salt
500g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170˚C and prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, eggs, and sugar (not to worry if it looks curdled).
- Add the flour and fold in. Once fully mixed, add the salt and spice.
- Evenly distribute the mixture in the cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While they’re baking, make a start on the frosting.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the butter and bring the mixture to a boil, but do not stir.
- Allow the mixture to caramelise, which will take around 10-15 minutes until is a rich caramel colour.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and immediately stir in the cream, being careful as it will bubble.
- Add the salt and allow the caramel to cool.
- Whisk the butter for the frosting with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar in three parts, whisking throughout.
- When the caramel sauce is completely cooled, add 100ml and whisk in.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, decorate with the icing and enjoy.